Sunday, December 10, 2006

New experiences


We had an outing today.
I had been invited to share a stall at a village craft fair a short way north of Newark.

After a lot of fiddly knitting, I had come up with 16 small sculptural pieces.
I had packed them away for the journey in a plastic tub.
I had purchased some tie-on labels, and suitable bags for packaging.
I even remembered where I had put the safety pins.
My business cards and address labels were there too.

BUT the hardest part came as I displayed them, and had to price them.
After a bit of tweaking I had them looking pretty good on the stand.
Then came the part I had been dreading, working out the figures.
After a bit of thinking, and asking Mary what she thought, I made decisions.
All of a sudden I was much more relaxed.

We were in the dingiest part of the room, and had not brought any lighting.
As it turned out there was a severe shortage of sockets, so we would have had difficulty plugging in.
The image above shows Mary and the stall taken at 13.00 with flash, so it doesn't look too dark.

We had been told that we would be sharing a table with someone else.
But we were offered a tiny table.
We protested gently, and in the end we had two tiny tables.
At first it was bitterly cold.
Fortunately the heating warmed the hall up pretty quickly once it was turned on.

Mary had some reasonably priced felt bangles, and other jewellery.

Much was admired, but none of our work sold.

It was a nice day out, but were we to go again, we would at least take advantage of walking round the village.
Ian (having driven us there) went out for a couple of hours walking around the area.
We never ventured out of the hall.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

I know what you mean about pricing. I wonder why it is so difficult. Your display looks very nice. I'm sorry you didn't sell anything!

2:35 am  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

I hate pricing too. Maybe the art project should host its own and gain revenue from the stall fees

12:29 pm  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

stall looks great, sorry you didn't have any sales. Would love to see some of your sculptural pieces?
amber in Scotland

4:14 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home