Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sock magic

I have finally knitted some socks for Ian.
All I need now is for him to try them on before I sew the ends in.

The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, and as before I have combined two colourways to get an even better colour.

On the left is Jeans, and to the right is Baltic Sea.

In the skein these look really exciting, but less so when wound into a ball.




But somehow a little magic happens when you knit them together.

Colours appear that aren't in the yarn, here a deep red seems grow out of the darker brown of the Baltic Sea.

Or perhaps that is all in my imagination!

Either way, as he has long narrow feet, I can use the same number of stitches as for my socks, and just knit a longer foot.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

I really like your idea of combining two colorways. By knitting them together do you mean you are doubling the yarns as you knit, or are you alternating them?

5:45 am  
Blogger m said...

In this case it is a single row of each colour. Back in November and earlier in the year, I posted about some socks with small cable detail. In those I used the yarns 2:1. One pair were Lorna's Laces, and the other Fybrespates sock yarn.
I don't double up, as it would make the socks too thick for everyday wear.

8:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home