Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Thwarting spiders, caterpillars, slugs and snails

It is that time of year again.
Every time I go down the garden I engage in a battle of wits with the local wildlife.

The stripy spiders think that our pergola, fruit trees and bushes are put there for them. So, if I forget to gently detach the anchoring strands of spider silk, I end up removing the traces from my skin and hair.

Then again the cabbage white butterflies think that our attempts to grow brassicas are purely to keep their population growing. We were hoping to have cabbages some day!

The slugs and snails love eating lettuces and marigolds, not to mention any tender plants recently planted out.

I venture down the garden in my attempts to keep up with all the fruit and vegetables.
After my breakfast muesli, my diet for the day seems to be purely fruit and vegetables.

We have plums, apples and pears ripening at a fantastic rate.
The autumn fruiting raspberries are still going strong as are the blackberries.
There are still a few redcurrnts clinging to the bushes too.

Beans and salad leaves are hanging in, despite the variable weather and little rain.
The tomatos ripen too quickly, and the aubergines are catching up with them.

It is also a time of human busy-ness.
The Art Room has new hours, and we are preparing some fun sessions in the run up to Christmas.

Ian was in Switzerland for a week, then home for two nights before heading off to Naples for a couple of days.
Next week it will be Berlin.

Stephen is engaging in the first week of his "A" level studies, laced with evening events.

Last Saturday saw the Melton Mowbray rare breed show.
I was there to help on the Knitting and Crochet Guild stand.
I was knitting some wire, as it makes people stop and talk to me.


I'll be doing it again as the first of the autumn stitching shows opens tomorrow in Birmingham at the NEC.
I'll be there on the "Relax and Knit" stand with Fred and Sue amongst others.
We usually meet up at one or other of the shows in the autumn.

And to top it all, one of my friends from Toronto, Elle, arrived in London last night with a friend for a brief visit.
I spoke to her on the phone this morning, and will meet up with her and Linda on Friday.
They are coming to stay for a couple of nights.

Now back to cleaning and tidying before going in to work at the Art Room.

1 Comments:

Blogger Good Kharma Bunny said...

aaarrrrggghhhhhh I dont believe it, I missed you again!!!
I was at the knitting and stitching show yesterday, and did frequent the relax and knit stand!! ( well walked passed looking)
al x

9:02 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home