Monday, June 24, 2013

An hour's drawing distilled

A last minute decision on the morning of May 30th had me cycling over to Elvaston Castle to join in a drawing workshop.
I hadn't cycled that way for years, and was glad of the map facility on my phone. 
It was a cool somewhat damp day, which made the journey easier. 
3/4 hour after leaving home I arrived and was very glad that I was wearing multiple layers as I could strip down to cool off.

I settled down with my favourite fine drawing pen and a sheet of A4 paper, and looked around at the various natural items laid out for inspiration.
The gall on the windowsill above was one of the first to catch my eye.

Later on as I cooled off I roamed the room seeking inspiration, and found this great seedcase, possibly from a verbascum or eremurus.

Towards the end of the hour this was my sheet.
Next I needed to apply the scissors and censor my work.

A handy square of black paper helped in this matter. 
I selected items that could be cut out without losing their integrity, and came up with this arrangement.
The images were a hotchpotch of different scales and both from birds and plant material.
(I have no idea how, if at all, my drawings might get used in the inspiration for archways in a garden there.)

I enjoyed myself on the way home taking more time on my journey, stopping off in Draycott to visit the Beetroot Tree gallery. 

My only regret of the day was that two days later I was told of an app that I could have used to track my journey on my phone.


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

I like all that hotchpotch on the black paper! great to mix the scales like that.

1:56 am  
Blogger m said...

I had a stuffed crow sitting in front of me, and got very involved in trying to represent the intricacies of its claws.

9:32 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home